Marathon Madness!

12/07/2009 04:13:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

“I want to run for a Marathon”

“You must be crazy to run for a marathon”.

This was my response given to my bro two months back when he decided to run for Singapore Standard chartered marathon 2009.



Often I used to tell my bro that marathon is a crazy thing anyone would do. As mom says “They pay money to run “my definition was “You run without anyone chasing you”. Yea it still sounds crazy to me but slowly my views took different direction after witnessing the grand marathon event on 6th December.

I heard that total of 50,000 people ran for the marathon this year. It’s very easy to be a supporter in the event but being a participant for the marathon takes lots of courage. Be it a full marathon or half marathon or even the 10km run. Interesting part was people had motivational phrases on a paper and tagged it to their shirts. One guy had “Beat your body..Win the race”. I think it’s not just about pushing your body to extreme levels but it’s more about pushing your minds to the destination. Every runner must be having a deep desire in their heart that leads them to reach their destination without giving up. This is the method I follow when I am running. Before I start on the running path, deep down in my heart I wish for a long waited desire and I will be sure my passion to win it will lead me to my destination. It was good to see old people overtaking the youngsters by participating in the marathon. Cutest part is there was even kids dash in the marathon!It was a shame that I was not part of that amazing event. Wonderful memory was bro being part of the event.

My bro’s dedication and confidence in every work he does always amazed me. When he told me that he is going to start his marathon training 2 months ahead of the final day I laughed at his “over dedication” for the marathon but his fitness over the months proved me wrong. All his hard work has been paid off. His daily workouts and his strict diet showed how important this marathon meant to him.

He completed his first half marathon (21km) in 1hr 53 mins 35 secs. I am so proud of him. He has always been my real life hero. Of course not just because of his marathon success. Since childhood I always told myself that I can’t be like him. I can never study like him, can never have dedication like him, can never manage my financial life like him and of course can never be intelligent like him. Finally he is the first marathon runner in my family!Yipee! Seeing bro being so proud of his achievement I wish I can run 10km marathon just to hang that tiny silver medal beside bro’s medal. Hmm maybe next year I would end up posting my own achievement picture here.



For now enjoy this picture of my bro being a marathon runner! Congrats bro you are always my hero.
His marathon photos can be found in the following link:
http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports%2F2009%2FSingapore+Marathon&new_search=1&match=vanganuru